Information for individuals who apply to work for, or who attend a recruitment event or undertake an assessment with Shell TapUp.
What does this Privacy Notice cover?
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we process about you, why we are processing your personal information and for which purposes, how long we hold your personal information for, how to access and update your personal information, as well as the options you have regarding your personal information and where to go for further information.
For individuals who are successful in their application for employment, internship or engagement as a contractor, the Privacy Notice - TapUp Group Employee, Contractor and Dependents’ available at https://www.shelltapup.com/privacy will apply.
As well as this Privacy Notice, bespoke privacy notices and supplementary privacy statements may contain further information about how TapUp is processing your personal information. In those instances, such privacy notices will be communicated to you separately.
Notices are available from the TapUp website.
Who is responsible for any personal information collected?
Shell Retail Convenience Operations (SRCO) DBA Shell TapUp a Delaware corporation having offices at 150 N. Dairy Ashford, Houston, Texas, 77079, USA, is responsible for processing your personal information on behalf of itself or the relevant employing or engaging company within TapUp.
Special Notice - if you are under 13 years old and wish to apply for a TapUp sponsored education or innovation event
We do not intentionally collect personal information of individuals under 13 years old. If you are under 13 years old please do not send us your personal information for example, your name, address and email address. If you wish to contact TapUp in a way which requires you to submit your personal information please get your parent or guardian to do so on your behalf.
What personal information do we process about you? Collection of information
We process personal information relating to individuals who apply to work for, or who attend a recruitment event and/or undertake an assessment (‘Applicants’).
This includes personal contact information, date of birth, whether you have the legal right to work in the country in which you have applied, your application for employment, your qualifications and experience, results of interviews and assessments.
Sensitive personal information
For the purposes of recruitment, personal information regarding health data may be processed only as strictly required and as permitted or required by local law for the purposes of making adjustments to the recruitment process, for assessing eligibility for positions and fitness to work and provision of facilities in the workplace to accommodate health problems.
In addition, we gather personal information where it is necessary for the purposes of complying with employment and social security laws including those specifically for the purposes of ensuring equal employment opportunities as required by US law, covering applicant and employee information such as gender, race/ethnicity, nationality, disability and veterans status;
For what purposes do we process your personal information?
We process your personal information for the following purposes:
- Human Resources, personnel management, business process execution and internal management - including resource planning, and recruitment;
- Health, safety and security - including protection of an individual’s life or health, occupational health and safety, protection of TapUp’s assets and staff, authentication of individual status and access rights;
- Legal and/or regulatory compliance - including compliance with legal or regulatory requirements; or
- Pre-employment and ongoing drug and or alcohol screening – depending upon the position certain drug screening may be required.
- Management reporting and analysis - including statistical analysis and surveys regarding the quality of the recruitment process.
We may also process your personal information for a secondary purpose where it is closely related, such as:
- storing, deleting or anonymising your personal information;
- fraud prevention, audits, investigations, dispute resolution or insurance purposes, litigation and defence of claims; or
- statistical, historical or scientific research.
Pre-screening of Applicants
We carry out screening of all Applicants who we intend to make an offer of employment, engagement or internship (as the case may be) and prior to any offer being confirmed for the purposes of:
- verifying the information that an Applicant provides during the screening/interview process. This will include verifying information with current/previous employers and educational institutions. No steps will be taken in this respect until the Applicant confirms the verification can take place;
- screening Applicants against publicly available or government issued sanctions lists and media sources. This is to comply with legal and regulatory obligations, to protect TapUp’s assets and employees/contractors and specifically to ensure that TapUp can comply with trade control, anti-money laundering and/or bribery and corruption laws and other regulatory requirements.
Automated decision making and profiling
All applicants must answer questions which are necessary to ensure that individuals can lawfully enter into a contract with a TapUp company if they are successful in their application. Unless notified to you in a bespoke privacy notice or a supplementary privacy statement during the recruitment process, no profiling or automated decision making will take place to determine suitability or eligibility for employment or engagement as a contractor.
Why do we process your personal information?
We only process personal information of Applicants:
- in order to take steps at the request of the Applicant prior to entering into a contract;
- where it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation to which the relevant TapUp company/companies is subject to ensure compliance with applicable employment, social security laws and regulations;
- where it is necessary for the legitimate business interests of TapUp (such as ensuring compliance with legal obligations other than those related to employment or social security, the protection of TapUp assets, reputation and TapUp employees and contractors) except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the Applicant; or
- (only if legally required) with the explicit consent of the Applicant.
In those cases where processing is based on consent you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This will not affect the validity of the processing prior to the withdrawal of consent.
Who will we share the personal information with?
Your personal information is exclusively processed for the purposes referred to above and will only be shared on a strict need to know basis with:
- Other companies within the Shell group of companies, including to those which may be located outside of your location;
- Authorized third party agents, service providers, external auditors and/or subcontractors of TapUp in particular authorised third parties who carry out reference and background checks on behalf of TapUp;
- A competent public authority, government, regulatory or fiscal agency where it is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation to which the relevant Shell company/companies is subject to or as permitted by applicable law;
- Disclosure in litigation or as otherwise may be necessary to protect Shell interests (e.g., notice to the authorities of a fraud); or
- Any person to whom TapUp proposes to transfer any of its rights and/or duties.
Interacting with TapUp through social media
If you choose to interact with TapUp through social media on a TapUp administered social media page (‘TapUp Social Media Page’) - such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or LinkedIn, your personal information (such as your name, your profile picture and the fact that you are interested in TapUp) will be visible to all visitors of your personal webpage depending on your privacy settings on the relevant social media platform, and will also be visible to TapUp. Should you desire to delete information that you share on these sites at any time, please follow the process set forward by the relevant social media platform. TapUp does not track your activity across the different social media sites that you use. Please contact TapUp HR at email@example.com if you wish to make a request that you are unable to action yourself and which relates to a TapUp Social Media Page - see the section below ‘Your rights in relation to your personal information’.
Additionally and to the extent TapUp is jointly responsible with a social media platform of a TapUp Social Media Page, TapUp will have access through the social media platform to aggregated data providing statistics and insights that help to understand the types of actions you take on TapUp Social Media Pages. For more information on how your personal information are processed on those social media platforms, including any targeted advertising that you may receive, please refer to your privacy settings accessible through your relevant social media platform’s account.
Transfers of your personal information to other countries
Where your personal information have been transferred to companies within the Shell group and/or to authorized third parties located outside of of the United States of America we take organizational, contractual and legal measures to ensure that your personal information are exclusively processed for the purposes mentioned above and that adequate levels of protection have been implemented in order to safeguard your personal information. These measures include contractual obligations preventing service providers from selling your personal information.
Security of your personal information
We have implemented technology and policies with the objective of protecting your privacy from unauthorised access and improper use and will update these measures as new technology becomes available, as appropriate.
How long do you hold my personal information for?
We hold personal information of unsuccessful Applicants for three years after the recruitment process or assessment has completed.
Information may be held for a longer period of time where there is a legal or regulatory reason to do so (in which case it will be deleted once no longer required for the legal or regulatory purpose).
If you are successful in your application, the personal information gathered through the recruitment process will be retained in line with the Privacy Notice - Employees’, Dependants’ and Contractors’ Personal information, which is available at https://www.shelltapup.com/privacy/ex-employee-notice.html.
What are the consequences of not providing your data?
Personal information requested and provided by Applicants are required in order to fulfil legal requirements and/or which is required for entering into a contract with you (or in the case of a contractor your employer/service provider). Failure to provide us with the information requested which is limited to that required for these purposes may negatively affect your chances of being selected for any potential employment, engagement or internship.
Your rights in relation to your personal information
We aim to keep our information about you as accurate as possible. Regardless of which State you are resident in you can request:
- access to your personal information;
- correction, or deletion of your personal information (but only where they are no longer required for a legitimate business purpose);
- that the processing of your personal information is restricted; and/or
- that you receive personal information that you have provided to TapUp, in a structured, digital form to be transmitted to another party, if this is technically feasible.
Please contact or firstname.lastname@example.org
Who can you contact if you have a query, concern, complaint, about your personal information?
If you have any issues, queries or complaints regarding the processing of your personal information please contact email@example.com.
You may also contact the Shell Group Chief Privacy Officer at Privacy-Office-SI@shell.com or Shell International B.V. The Hague, The Netherlands - Trade Register, No. 27155369 Correspondence: PO Box 162, 2501 AN, The Hague.
Without prejudice to any rights you may have in line with local law you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Dutch Data Protection Authority whose address is Prins Clauslaan 60, 2595 AJ The Hague, The Netherlands. Please visit https://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl/en for more information.
Cookies and similar technologies
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be changed over time. You are advised to regularly review this Privacy Notice for possible changes. This Privacy Notice was last updated in May 2021.